Drive Ecommerce Growth with
Email Automation and Customer Segmentation
Want more growth for your ecommerce business? Read on...
Ecommerce conversion rates
Getting a first purchase
If you're running an ecommerce store, the brutal reality is that most of your website visits will not result in a conversion. It's common to see less than 2% of traffic convert and a study has shown that '92% of first-time visitors to a website do not intend to make a purchase'.
Getting a repeat purchase
Once you do manage to convince visitors to purchase, typically 80-90% will only ever buy once.
Stop for a moment...
Now consider the time and money you invested to get those prospects to your site in the first place.
How to achieve sustainable growth
If you want to grow your ecommerce business, you have two options...
The common approach
Most ecommerce merchants still believe the path to growth is simply to drive more traffic. So they invest yet more money in SEO, paid search, or display ads. Or all of the above.
If you have deep pockets, or a benevolent financial backer, this strategy may work. Eventually.
If you have a limited budget, you need to know that it's not sustainable and does not typically end well.
The smart approach
Research has shown that people are far more likely to buy from an online store or a brand, if they are familiar with it and have developed some trust. It's human nature, right?
Put yourself in the position of your target audience. Understand their needs and frustrations. Show empathy and build trust.
Then, if you offer a sound value proposition, the conversions will come. It's a sustainable approach and the best method is (still) email.
Why email marketing is important
There have been predictions about the demise of email marketing since the rise of social media. Yet, year after year, email continues to outperform other digital channels, particularly for ecommerce businesses.
In fact, email is going through a renaissance.
You know there's a 'buzz' happening when digital marketing gurus like Neil Patel and Brian Dean publish blogs entitled A Beginner’s Guide to Successful Email Marketing and Email Marketing: The Definitive Guide - albeit clever content marketing for their core offerings of SEO.
If you have a limited marketing budget, you cannot afford to ignore it:
- No other digital marketing channel delivers a better ROI than email
- It converts and retains customers better than any other channel
- If you're not generating at least 20-25% of your revenue from email, you are leaving money on the table
There are also longer term, strategic reasons why you should invest in email marketing.
Unlike SEO, paid search or paid display ads, with email marketing you are not at the mercy of third party algorithms. So long as you adhere to email best practice, you can continue to grow and own a direct channel with customers.
When you build a list of engaged email contacts, you're building a tangible business asset.
Email marketing strategy
Email marketing does not mean the 'spammy' emails that clog junk folders.
Effective email marketing empowers you to send the right content to the right people at the right time. It is delivered by combining email automation with customer segmentation.
- Automated emails generate 4x more revenue per recipient than campaign emails
- They may take longer to set up and optimise. But once done, automated emails continue to work in the background while you sleep... or work on something else
- Over time, automated emails generate more revenue than campaign emails
- Not all customers are equal. Find and retain the customers who make you money
- Use this data to find more customers with similar intent
- Let go of the customers who are costing you money
- Sending to an engaged audience means better open and click rates, which improves results and list reputation
Want practical tips on email marketing? Sign up below.
Email marketing platforms
Wondering which email marketing software to choose?
If you have plenty time on your hands, just Google it and you'll find a plethora of email platforms to compare and choose between - in fact, about 219 million search results - good luck with that!
It seems like a new player emerges every month!
Personally, I've worked with a number of platforms over many years, including Active Campaign, Campaign Monitor, Klaviyo and Mailchimp.
All these platforms are very capable and offer some form of automation.
But when it comes to segmentation, in my view the best email marketing tool currently available is Klaviyo. It is also one of the few designed specifically for ecommerce.
Email marketing services
Need help implementing or managing your email marketing? Finlayson Digital has helped a wide range of ecommerce merchants to set up for success.
Choose from 3 email marketing packages
For those who just want to be set up as quickly as possible, then manage it all themselves, this may be all you require.
Klaviyo installation, configuration of company details, branding, integration with ecommerce platform, integration with existing email platform (if required), customisation of double optin process, creation of email sign up forms and three essential automated email flows and template for campaign emails.
For those wanting higher ROI on email marketing, but don't have the time and/or the technical confidence to implement.
Everything in Package 1, followed by segmentation of customers based on levels of engagement and areas of interest. Fully customised for each client.
For store owners who want to commit to email marketing and/or require someone to manage on month to month basis.
Everything in Packages 1 and 2, followed by month to month support, ongoing optimisation of automated flows, regular campaign emails and regular list cleansing. Fully customised for each client.
If you'd like to request a quotation, or would like more information, please get in contact.
Klaviyo Shopify integration
Proven track record
When you hire Finlayson Digital, you'll be working with an experienced Klaviyo 'Master', with a track record of growth.
Actual results will vary. Ultimately, ecommerce success will be determined by the strength of your Unique Value Proposition.
But the year on year comparisons below illustrate what can be achieved from well implemented and managed email marketing - for companies large and small.
You will also enjoy the following benefits:
- Deal direct - Unlike most agencies, the work does not get delegated to an intern, or outsourced to an overseas freelancer.
- No lock-in contracts - You have complete flexibility. Choose a set up only, or month to month optimisation and management for as long as you need it. Cancel any time with no penalty.
- Exceptional service - I understand that if your business grows, so will mine. My goal is to develop long term business relationships.
- Unique skill set - you won't find many other people with expertise in such different, but complementary disciplines: technology, analytics, design & copywriting.
- First hand experience - I know your challenges and feel your pain. Unlike many consultants, I've worked as an ecommerce manager and owned my own online store.
- Value added - With such a wide range of experience, I understand how email marketing fits in the bigger picture. I often assist clients in other aspects of ecommerce or digital marketing.
What clients are saying
'Murray took time to really understand my business, who my customers are and what would increase my sales.'
- Ellie Degraeve, Founder and Owner, Go For Zero
‘My business has experienced great sales results with having Murray onboard and supporting the business.'
- Gina Gatford, Founder and Owner, AbsoluteSkin
'His ability to distil the complexity of our digital business into simple to understand KPIs and initiatives has provided us with a solid foundation for management and growth.'
- Quentin Long, Co-Founder, Australian Travel Media
'Working with Murray, I know I am not going to make the classic mistakes which result in a lot of lost time and money.'
- Rachel Boutagy, Founder and Owner, Australian Natural Protein Company